Wednesday 7 November 2012

The Blanket - Work in Progress!

When I first learnt to crochet I started making a Granny Square blanket.
I started using Rico Creative cotton and a size 5 Hook.
I am pretty much using every colour that they offer in this yarn!

Initially, I didn't know what path I wanted the blanket to lead, I just knew that I wanted it to be bright, cheery and colourful.  It also needed to be huge as it needs to cover our kingside bed, with plenty of overhang (Idon't like it when crochet blankets just sit on top of a bed)

I started by planning to just keep on getting bigger and bigger from the first granny square, but as time went on and I got more confident I thought I'd make lots of different sized Granny Squares and stitch them together at the end.

I statred by replicating the initial granny quare in size but with the colours in the reverse order.  But then after I'd finished the first two large squares in this way I thought the colour order looks terrible side by side - so they will probably be seperated now.



I'm using white as the outer border on each square to tie each square together and also make it easier to sew up at the end.

It's such a beautiful yarn, as it's cotton its really soft and heavy, perfect for a snuggly blanket.  I think that at £1.99 for 50g it's reasonable too.  It's roughly double the price of a scratchy cheap acrylic ( not to my taste!) so although it's not the cheapest its worlds apart.

I've really picked up momentum now on this blanket, and I'm determined to get it finished by Christmas!

Here's Gabe with one of the squares!



1 comment:

  1. Cute blanket! I'm working on a cotton dk granny square blanket at the moment too :)

    ReplyDelete